What Information We Collect
As a general matter, you can browse the website without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we collect your personal information.
- When you register for an account on the website;
- When you sign up to receive e-mail newsletters from us;
- When you participate in surveys, panels, or research;
- When you register for and participate in our programs, activities, initiatives, and events;
- When you request information or assistance;
- In conjunction with your employment inquiries or applications;
- When you participate with social media accounts involving Durable Digital properties;
- When you participate in communities, chat rooms, and other interactive services;
- In conjunction with any verification of your account information;
- In conjunction with investigations into any activity that may violate the law or the website’s terms and conditions;
- When you communicate with us through the website;
- When you provide user-generated content on any part of the website that permits it; and
- In conjunction with any other place on the website where you knowingly volunteer personal information.
When you interact with any Durable Digital page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Instagram, or when you use your social media account or credentials to log in to the website, we may also collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or through that account, including your account ID or “handle.”
In addition, when you interact with the website, our servers may keep an activity log that does not identify you individually (“Non-Personal Information”). Generally, we collect the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- We may collect certain demographic data such as age, gender, and five-digit zip code as part of collecting personal information;
- We collect and store certain device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the website. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information;
- We automatically log certain usage information about your use of the website. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view. We use this information to provide you with a more customized experience on the website;
- We collect and store additional “traffic data” such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses; and
- We collect and store your search terms and search results.
We also collect and store certain other information regarding our users’ use of the website so that third parties may provide us with reports and analysis regarding usage and browsing patterns of the website.
How We Combine Your Information
We may combine information gathered from the website and information that we have received, gathered, acquired, or stored from other sources, both information collected offline by Durable Digital and information received from third parties—including information that currently exists in our files—into a single customer record. We also use and/or combine information that we collect offline or receive from third-party sources (e.g., contact information) to edit, enhance, and/or check the accuracy of your customer record.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the website. We use your Personal and Non-Personal Information in the following ways:
- For editorial purposes;
- Responding to your inquiries;
- Communicating with you about your account or transactions with us and sending you information about features on our website or about Durable Digital;
- Communicating with you about changes to our policies;
- Personalizing content and experiences on our website, including providing you with recommendations based on your preferences;
- Sending you newsletters, mailings, and information about programs, initiatives, activities, and events by e-mail or another medium;
- Processing your employment application;
- Event or program registration;
- Optimizing or improving our programs, services, and operations;
- Research and development;
- Verifying your account and account activities;
- Detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- Performing statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the website and their usage patterns; and
- Managing our organization
How We Share Your Information
Durable Digital adheres to the highest standards of ethical practices in all our operations and is dedicated to protecting the privacy of all visitors to our website. Except as disclosed below, we don’t sell, barter, give away, rent, or permit anyone outside Durable Digital to use or access your personal information.
We occasionally use independent contractors and third-party agents, affiliates, and partners to perform functions such as marketing, analytics, providing customer service, etc., on our behalf. These entities have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions and are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of any personal information collected from the website. They are restricted from using, selling, distributing, or altering this data in any way other than to provide the requested services to Durable Digital.
We may also use or disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the website; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the website, or our users; and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, our agents, or the users of the website or the public.
Like some websites, we may use web beacons or flash cookies. A web beacon or flash cookie (also known as an “action tag” “tracer tag,” or “single-pixel GIF”) is an invisible graphic on a web page or e-mail newsletter that is programmed to collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of a given website or newsletter, e.g., whether you opened the e-mail. Like cookies, web beacons allow Durable Digital and its technology providers to summarize overall usage patterns for our analysis and provide personalized services to you. We do not share or provide personally identifiable information we may collect through such web beacons, such as names or e-mail addresses, without your express permission.
Durable Digital strives to protect the transmission and storage of any information submitted by visitors to the website. But no transmission and storage of data is completely secure, and submissions are at your sole risk.